Google Play Has Landed

12.3.12 The Reporter 2 Comments


It was a cloudy, blustery day in March when ominous news reached my Social Media-glazed eyes.

Well, I really don't recall the state of the weather then. And neither was the news totally ominous. I'm really just adding that factoid for drama.

But it was on March 7, 2012 that news broke out that the Android Market would be replaced by Google Play. Philippine Android Community founder, Android app developer and Android evangelist Charo Nuguid, broke the news on the Philippine Android Community, at 2:06 PM.

At 8:18 PM, Geekier Chick sent me the .apk of what was Android Market.

At 3:51 PM on March 8, 2012, Android Pub alerted me about the news.

And as of 7PM yesterday, March 11, 2012, my Cherry Mobile Nova's Firetrap Lollipop stock Android Market changed icons. And then I noticed that it was labeled Google Play store.

Google Play had landed on my phone.

What is the difference between Google Play and the Android Market, save for branding? Content.

Instead of hosting just apps, Google Play will host and store your:
  • Music
  • Movies
  • Books
  • Apps and Games

Not only that, you will be able to sync and store all your purchased content among your Android devices.

So how cool is that? Say goodbye to clunky moving from your PC to your Android and screaming and yelling at your Mac for not accepting your Android. Well, not really. Sync software for the Android and your Mac are readily available, even if Apple is suing the pants off of OEMs and Android in general.

More details on Google Play here:

And if you're into watching video tutorials and intro's:





How about you? Did your Android Market wirelessly (albeit somewhat intrusively) change into Google Play already? Are you liking it? Disliking it? No, it's not Cinderella's coach that will change back into Android Market at midnight.

Me, I'm itching to fill up my Smart Money and start buying books! Not to mention music!

Also, I'm thinking it's a great idea, one that certainly resurrected the old media platform of Google, Google Music. While that one certainly bombed, Google Play, being fully integrated into Android (though it does feel a little in-our-faces), is a better marketing strategy. Since it's all there, lazy consumers like me will be able to get my media fix at my fingertips, almost literally.

If before it was a headache for me to get signed into the iTunes Store (so many prohibitive things like credit cards and location limitations), Google Play promises to give me access to content I had been itching to have.

So again, how about you? How do you feel about Google Play invading our Androids?

2 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Can you share how to get "Smart money" or a way to buy credits for buying in the market? I would also like to buy from the market but I don't know how.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, Waterborne,

    Thanks to you, I created a looooong article on Smart Money. :) Hope it helps in showing you what it is, and if it's the right solution for you. :)

    Smart Money Article:

    What Is Smart Money, And Can You Buy From Google Play With It?

    Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete