If There's Anything I May NEVER Use On My Android, It Is...

19.1.12 The Reporter 0 Comments


GPS. GPS or Global Positioning System, is the satellite-based tracking system that will allow applications like Google Maps and Google Earth to pinpoint locations in the world. It helps in giving directions, especially with travel.

It also identifies where you are at the moment.

If there's something about an Android device that scares me, it's really the GPS.

I may share mundane details about my life, too much, but I do not want satellites, or Google Earth, to figure out where I am, at the moment.

I have never used FourSquare. Neither do I use the location feature on Facebook, much. In fact, I may have used the location feature only less than 5 times. Why? It just creeps me out.

The first time I used the GPS, on the Significant Other's phone at that, I nearly jumped out of my skin when Google Maps pinpointed where we were, at the exact coordinates of where that was.

As the app zoomed into our specific location, it almost felt as if The Twilight Zone's theme started playing in the background. And then I frantically clicked through his Samsung Galaxy Y to turn the GPS off.

Something about realizing how increasingly "1984" our world is becoming is creeping the bejabbers out of me.

The GPS may be useful for other people, and I've met an Android user who has cited how it helps her and her husband keep track of where she is, as a security measure to deal with the possibilty that she could get lost.

But for this Android aficionado, GPS may never, ever grow on me.

***
Photo Credits: GPS Magazine

0 coment�rios: