Android App Review: Battery Indicator

1.2.12 The Reporter 0 Comments


A major weakness of the Froyo distro of the Android is that it lacks a proper battery indicator. The official Froyo OS that I upgraded my Cherry Mobile Nova to, and the stock Eclair OS that it came with, out of the box, both had battery indicators that didn't indicate how much of the battery was still left. All you saw was just this generic battery icon that leaves no clue as to how long you have till you need to connect your Android to the AC Power supply. And given that the Android is a power guzzler, this is an annoying feature, or lack of it.

Enter the Battery Indicator.

While there is a whole genre of apps dedicated to battery indicators alone, I didn't want to just randomly try and install a few apps then decide which to keep. After having my time with Battery Booster, I knew what I needed:

  • Light resource usage
  • "Thin" filesize footprint
  • Pretty, clean looks

I found it in Battery Indicator by Darshan Computing, LLC.

  • Its resource usage: I didn't even feel it.
  • Its (actual) filesize: 512kb
  • Its looks: simple, clean, "pretty"

It was the perfect indicator of how long I had until I needed to dig up my charger and plug my Cherry Mobile Nova back into the juice source.

Why was it perfect? Because it was simple, it didn't feel like it even ate any resource, and it was small enough to help keep my phone's internal storage at its happy 28MB to 35MB of late.

Though I deleted it today because I noticed that Firetrap Lollipop actually came with a battery indicator already. So no need for this one. Although the battery indicator on Firetrap Lollipop looks awful, just seeing the percentage of "juice" left right there is good enough for me.

All in all, if you're not going to root your Android and your battery indicator is the same generic useless non-indicating icon that I experienced, then this is the app to download.

Enjoy!

***

Photo Credits: Battery Indicator Android Market Page

0 coment�rios: