The Android Searcher: HTC Desire S

11.12.11 The Android Searcher 0 Comments

 
My daily routine takes me to Ortigas and back to Quezon City, often passing by SM Megamall. One afternoon, I was in a hurry for a chore when I spotted an HTC booth on the entrance hallway of Megamall B. The booth said "savings," and a bell started ringing in my head, as I knew then and there that I hit another Android jackpot. Not minding delaying my chore, I decided to check the booth out.

HTC is one of the hottest smartphone brands in the market. A quick check in the corporate background tells us that HTC came from the land of Acer and Asus: Taiwan. I first came across HTC when I spotted a billboard advertisement by Smart beside the MRT Ortigas Station. If Smart Communications is marketing HTC itself, then it goes to say that HTC is a quality brand with a touch of class. Friends had a good review of this phone before and have been contented users ever since. These same friends are also iPhone or Blackberry users, and quipped that HTC Android phones are comparable to these Big Two smartphone pillars. Some may even say that the HTC is more user-friendly than the other smartphone counterparts.

The phone that caught my attention first is the HTC Desire S. Since there was an existing promo, this PhP25,000+ phone now runs between PhP19,000 to PhP20,000. Even at that price, it costs PhP5,000 less than the most popular smartphone brands in the market (i.e. the iPhone, the top-of-the-line Blackberry Bold Touch/9900, the Samsung Galaxy S-II, etc.).

HTC Desire S runs on Android Gingerbread 2.3. The display available was a weight-filled model casing, but I was given a chance to see an actual working phone. With the dimensions of 115 x 59.8 x 11.63mm, this is one sleek phone. The screen resolution is good enough for my eyes and fares well to touch, especially that I love playing games using my phone. Definitely a big advantage over the Cherry Mobile Candy I also reviewed previously.  Equipped with a 5 megapixel camera and various sensors, this competes well with other popular smartphone brands with less the price. Like any other Android-operated phone, there is still a problem with touch screen drag of a split second but less than the lag that I noted with Candy.

HTC Desire S fares well for those who want a cheaper, sleeker yet comparably classly alternative to the usual expensive smartphone brands like iPhone and Blackberry. Will this finally be my Android phone? Not yet; but with the good impression and initial review, this will fare high in my options.

0 coment�rios: